What better place to attend cosmetology school to begin your career in the beauty industry than the state where it all began? In 1880, Delaware held the first beauty contest in the United States, laying the original foundation for those to follow and beginning an industry that has expanded into makeup, cosmetology, esthetics and more.
Ready to follow your dreams of becoming a cosmetologist?
Completing a cosmetology program in Delaware is the first step you need to take in order to receive a cosmetology license. The Delaware Board of Cosmetology and Barbering, a division of the state’s professional regulation department, requires you successfully obtain the following number of hours of training, per each type of cosmetology license:
- Barber: 1,500 training hours
- Cosmetologist: 1,500 training hours
- Electrologist: 300 training hours
- Esthetician: 600 training hours
- Nail technician: 125 training hours
- Cosmetology Instructor: 500 training hours or two years experience as a licensed cosmetologist with 250 hours of training
The Delaware Board of Massage and Bodywork is responsible for granting your license if you wish to practice massage therapy in Delaware. In that case, you have three options:
- Licensed Massage Therapist: 500 training hours
- Temporary Permit for Massage Therapy Technicians: 200 hours and is only accepted for a year
- Certified Massage Technician: 300 training hours
Delaware is one of a few states that also you to receive a cosmetology license through an apprenticeship. In order to do so you must complete double the amount of classroom hours required under supervision from a licensed professional. You are not allowed to do a combination of classroom hours and apprenticeship hours in order to become license.
Out-of-state applicants who have at least one year of work experience may be granted license reciprocity. No additional testing is necessary unless the applicant’s home state required less training than Delaware.
All types of cosmetology licenses expire on March 31 of even-numbered years. You need to submit a renewal form and fee to the Delaware Board of Cosmetology before the expiration date.
Find Cosmetology Schools in Delaware by Program
- Barbering Programs in Delaware
- Cosmetology Programs in Delaware
- Cosmetology Instructor Programs in Delaware
- Esthetics Programs in Delaware
- Electrolysis Programs in Delaware
- Fashion Design Programs in Delaware
- Hair Braiding Programs in Delaware
- Hair Styling Programs in Delaware
- Makeup Artist Programs in Delaware
- Massage Therapy Programs in Delaware
- Nail Technician Programs in Delaware
- Permanent Makeup Programs in Delaware
- Salon Management Programs in Delaware
You may also be interested in these schools that offer Full Cosmetology Programs