Considering attending a Virginia beauty school to complete your beauty education? There are plenty of options to choose from! With over 150 cosmetology schools, 73 barber programs and nearly 35 nail technician schools, you are sure to find one that best fits your educational needs. BeautySchools.com has compiled the top beauty programs in the area to make it easy for you to get in contact with representatives for the schools that most interest you.
Ready to search for your beauty school program?
In the state of Virginia, the Virginia State of Board of Cosmetology offers eight cosmetology licenses. Every license requires that you complete its established minimum training hours at an approved institution to gain eligibility to take the board examination. The available licenses include:
- Cosmetologist: 1,500 training hours
- Cosmetology Instructor: current cosmetology license and at least 12 months student instruction.
- Barber: 1,500 training hours
- Nail Technician: 150 training hours
- Esthetician: 600 training hours
- Master Esthetician: 1,200 training hours
- Permanent Makeup Artist: 1,500 training hours
- Massage Therapist: 500 training hours
If your beauty program doesn’t meet the hour requirements needed to become licensed as a cosmetologist, barber, or nail technician, Virginia does offer a unique opportunity. You will be able to apply to sit for your board exam if you can prove completion of a roughly equivalent cosmetology program as well as documentation of six months of work experience. Additionally, you can apply for licensure through an apprenticeship in cosmetology, barbering and as a nail tech. For this, you will need to complete double the hours as your educational training for cosmetology and barbering and 2,000 hours as a manicurist. You must renew your cosmetology license every two years. Permanent makeup artists must complete at least five hours of safety and sanitation continuing education to renew their licenses.
If you are interested in becoming a licensed massage therapist, the Virginia Board of Nursing will be your regulating board, and you will need to compete 500 hours from a board approved school.
Find Schools in Virginia by Program
- Barbering Programs in Virginia
- Cosmetology Programs in Virginia
- Cosmetology Instructor Programs in Virginia
- Esthetics Programs in Virginia
- Electrolysis Programs in Virginia
- Fashion Design Programs in Virginia
- Hair Braiding Programs in Virginia
- Hair Styling Programs in Virginia
- Makeup Artist Programs in Virginia
- Massage Therapy Programs in Virginia
- Nail Technician Programs in Virginia
- Permanent Makeup Programs in Virginia
- Salon Management Programs in Virginia