BeautySchools.com wants to help you find a cosmetology program that will offer you an exciting career in the beauty industry! Not only are there a number of schools to choose from, but with over 5,500 working professionals in the state, it’s a great location to build a clientele base and expand your opportunities.
Ready to explore your cosmetology school opportunities?
Before applying for your cosmetology license, you must first complete the educational requirements established by the Tennessee State Board of Cosmetology, which regulates a number of cosmetology specialties. There are 11 licensing options and each one has the following minimum training hour requirements.
- Cosmetologist: 1,500 training hours
- Cosmetology Instructor: current cosmetology license + 300 hours of experience + one year as a junior instructor.
- Barber Technician: 340 training hours
- Master Barber: 1,500 training hours
- Barber Instructor: 450 training hours +barber license for a minimum of three years.
- Natural Hairstylist: 300 training hours
- Nail Technician: 600 training hours
- Esthetician: 750 training hours
- Electrologist: 600 training hours
- Permanent Makeup Artist: must have a current tattoo artist license
- Massage Therapist: 500 training hours
The state of Tennessee renews cosmetology licenses every two years, and you must complete at least 16 hours of continuing education in cosmetology for licensure renewal.
Find Schools in Tennessee by Program
- Barbering Programs in Tennessee
- Cosmetology Programs in Tennessee
- Cosmetology Instructor Programs in Tennessee
- Esthetics Programs in Tennessee
- Electrolysis Programs in Tennessee
- Fashion Design Programs in Tennessee
- Hair Braiding Programs in Tennessee
- Hair Styling Programs in Tennessee
- Makeup Artist Programs in Tennessee
- Massage Therapy Programs in Tennessee
- Nail Technician Programs in Tennessee
- Permanent Makeup Programs in Tennessee
- Salon Management Programs in Tennessee