Alaska Cosmetology and Beauty Schools
Not only does Alaska boast more than a dozen licensed cosmetology schools with programs in every specialty, but it has also proven to be a great state to consider if you want to open a startup in the beauty industry. In the last few years alone, Alaska has given life to its own cosmetics line and is home to Makeoverly.com, an online makeup advisory service covering every beauty topic imaginable.
All Beauty Programs in Alaska
You must attend a school that is approved by your state to provide training in the discipline you want to practice. Check with the school and the state board to be sure that your program of study will prepare you for any applicable state licensure.
Ready to join the beauty industry in Alaska?
Choose an Alaskan cosmetology school and you will be on your way to making a name for yourself in a beauty career. Regardless of which program you decide to pursue, the Alaska Board of Barbers and Hairdressers will need to issue your cosmetology license in order to work in the state. You will need to meet the following licensing requirements in order to be eligible:
- Cosmetologist: 1650 classroom hours or a 2000-hour apprenticeship within 12-24 months
- Esthetician: 350 classroom hours of a 350-hour apprenticeship within 6-24 months
- Nail Technician: 12-hour nail technician course
- Advanced Manicurist: 250 classroom hours and a nail technician license
- Barber: 1650 hours of training or a 2000-hour apprenticeship within 12-24 months
- Cosmetology Instructor: 3 years experience as licensed cosmetology practitioner and completion of written and practical exams or one-year experience as licensed cosmetologist, 600-hour classroom instructor training, and completion of written and practical exams
Alaska is unique in that it is one state that will allow you to become licensed in the state by waiver of examination. If you have a license in another state that is active and have successfully completed both the written and practical exams along with 1650 school hours, you may be exempt from the Alaska licensing exam.
Find Beauty Schools in Alaska by Program
- Barbering Programs in Alaska
- Cosmetology Programs in Alaska
- Cosmetology Instructor Programs in Alaska
- Esthetics Programs in Alaska
- Electrolysis Programs in Alaska
- Fashion Design Programs in Alaska
- Hair Braiding Programs in Alaska
- Hair Styling Programs in Alaska
- Makeup Artist Programs in Alaska
- Massage Therapy Programs in Alaska
- Nail Technician Programs in Alaska
- Permanent Makeup Programs in Alaska
- Salon Management Programs in Alaska