Hair Schools and Programs in South Dakota
Four different schools offer training for those who are interested in a career in hair design. In South Dakota, students can enroll in a program at the undergraduate level. Some of the different classes that you will have to take are Thermal Styling, Salon Ethics/Laws/Management, Wet Hairstyling, Braids, Extensions and Wigs. Elective courses often cover skin/hair/scalp analysis, permanent waving and hair coloring or bleaching.
Hair Cutting Licensing Requirements in South Dakota
When it comes to getting your license in South Dakota, you will need to meet the following requirements:
– Cosmetologists are required to have a minimum of 2100 beauty school hours.
– You need to be at least 18 years old.
– You need to have your GED or high school diploma.
– In South Dakota, you will need to renew your license annually. You will need to complete continuing education hours to practice using electric files and microdermabrasion. Complete the renewal form, pay the required fee and provide proof of your continuing education hours to renew your license.
– Applicants will need to pass a physical exam and NIC Theory.
Employment Outlook for Hair Stylist in South Dakota
The overall employment outlook for those entering into the field of cosmetology is anticipated to grow faster than many of the other professions in the world today. Entry-level workers will have no problem entering into the field, but those who are looking to work in a high-end establishment are going to encounter some stuff competition.
From 2008 through 2018, the number of workers will grow by 20 percent, which is higher than other careers in the world today. Hair dressers will notice an increase of 20 percent in job availability. As the population continues to increase, the number of people needed to keep up with the customers will increase as well. Hair treatments and hair coloring professionals have been showing a steady increase, so there is no chance that is going to slow down anytime soon.
Growth within the full-service spas will create a number of openings for people skilled in cosmetology. Based on information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of careers will continue to grow and flourish for those who are graduating college and preparing to enter into the workplace. Experience in the field will only help you to find even more opportunities than what you could ever imagine.