Cosmetology can be a creative and rewarding career. It can put you in contact with exciting people and allow you to pursue a wide variety of careers in the beauty industry. Plus, there are almost 100 cosmetology schools in Colorado where you can train to pursue your dream.
Cosmetology Schools and Curriculum in Colorado
Because completing coursework for most cosmetology careers takes less than four years time, many people think that cosmetology work is easy. However, this is not true. It can feel easy if you truly enjoy working in the beauty and esthetics field, and enjoy making others look their best.
Of course you can expect to learn things like hair, makeup, color, style cutting, nail beauty, massage, and treatments like body wraps, permanent makeup and chemical peels, but you will also learn things like decontamination, infection control, body systems, anatomy, chemistry concepts, professional business practices and appearance presentations. Your day to day study will consist of textbook study, lectures in class, regular exams, tests and exciting hands on practice in the student salon or studio.
Licensing Requirements in Colorado
In Colorado, cosmetology licensing is regulated by the Colorado Board of Cosmetology. Though continued education is not required in order for you to renew and/or reinstate your license, it is highly recommended for your survival and success in the industry. The hourly coursework requirements for each license available in Colorado are as follows:
- Barber’s License – 50 Credits or 1500 Clock Hours
- Cosmetology License – 60 Credits or 1800 Clock Hours
- Cosmetician/Esthetician License – 20 Credits or 600 Clock Hours
- Hair Stylist License – 40 Credits or 1200 Clock Hours
- Nail Technician – 20 Credits or 600 Clock Hours
- Permanent Makeup Certificate – You must have your cosmetology or esthetician’s license and complete 132 hours of advanced training in permanent makeup.
- Chemical Peels and Micro Dermabrasion Certificate – You must have your cosmetology or esthetician’s license and complete 14 hours of advanced training in chemical peels and micro dermabrasion.
- Cosmetology Instructor – You must have your cosmetology license plus two years experience in the field. Each school has its own application process that you will have to complete depending on where you would like to work.
- Massage Therapy – 500 Hours of Study
Esthetician, Barber, Manicurist and Hairstylist licenses expire on March 31 of even years like 2010 and 2012. To renew these licenses it’s $26, to reinstate one of them it’s $41. Your cosmetology license will either expire on April 30th on even years like 2010 and 2012 or on April 30th of odd years like 2011 and 2013. to renew this license it’s $32, to reinstate it’s $47.
If you are from out of state and you want to work in Colorado, you need to fill out an Application for Licensure by Endorsement, present a valid license from another state and pay the licensing fees. If you are a military spouse, you can work freely for 12 months using just a valid license from any US state.
Job and Employment Outlook for Cosmetologists in Colorado
In the year 2010, Cosmetologists throughout the United States earned a median income of $22,500. Your earnings will depend on your field of specialization and the location of your job. In Colorado, you can expect to earn $20,000 or more a year plus tips in these fields.
Enter your zip code below or request information from our featured programs to learn more about programs in your area!
LIST OF ALL COSMETOLOGY SCHOOLS IN COLORADO
College of International Esthetics, Inc. Arvada, CO
Empire Beauty School Arvada Westminster Wheat Ridge Arvada Wheat Ridge, CO
Xenon International Academy Aurora, CO
Empire Beauty School Aurora Denver Aurora Denver, CO
International Salon and Spa Academy Colorado Springs, CO
The Salon Professional Academy Colorado Springs, CO
Toni&Guy Hairdressing Colorado Springs, CO
Aveda Institute Denver Denver, CO
Heritage College Denver, CO
The Salon Professional Academy Grand Junction, CO
Empire Beauty School Lakewood West Denver Lakewood West Denver, CO
Empire Beauty School Littleton South Lakewood Littleton South Lakewood, CO
Longs Peak Academy Longmont, CO
New Dimensions Beauty Academy Parker, CO
IntelliTec College Pueblo Pueblo , CO
Empire Beauty School Thornton Denver Thornton Denver, CO