Find Programs Near You
West Virginia Nail Technician License Requirements
With new nail technology, manicurists have tons of different options when it comes to creating the perfect look for each client. Are you looking for a beauty career that makes use of your creativity and attention to detail? If so, a West Virginia nail license is a great choice.
In this state, licensing goes through the West Virginia Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists. Licensing requirements were put in place to ensure that all professionals using specific job titles in cosmetology are held to high standards of training and safety.
As a new professional, you may find that licensure is a convenient way to demonstrate your skills and your quality of training when applying for jobs. The licensing process involves education, testing, paying a variety of fees, and passing a background check.
WV Nail Tech License Fees and Hours
• $99 fee to take written, practical, and state law exams; when taken separately, $75 for practical and written, and $50 for state law
• $35 licensing fee
• Fees payable by business check, cashier’s check, or money order
• 400 training hours
Education Requirements to Get a Nail Tech License in West Virginia
It’s all about what you know! The more you bring to the table as a new graduate, the easier you may find it to get established in this field with your first job. Licensed nail technician schools in West Virginia must cover specific topics to prepare students for their licensing exams.
Required Courses at Nail Tech Schools
• 100 hours: Professional development, communication, state law, salon management, facility sanitation, first aid, and infection control
• 74 hours: Anatomy and physiology, skin structure and growth, nail structure and growth, chemistry, and electricity
• 92 hours: Pre- and post-service procedures, manicures and pedicures, massage of the arms, massage of the legs, massage of the hands, massage of the feet, disinfection, nail wraps, nail tips, paraffin wax, polishing, UV gel, and design
• 134 hours: Advanced manicures and pedicures, electric filing, nail tips and wraps, monomer liquid and polymer powder, and UV gels
Are you ready to learn how to get a nail tech license in WV? Take the first step right now by contacting local nail tech programs below.
How to Get a Nail Tech License Renewed in West Virginia
As a nail technician, you have to stay on top of renewal requirements in West Virginia. Renewal documents must be submitted every year by January 1. The renewal fee is $35, and nail technicians must complete four hours of continuing education per year.
Now that you know all about nail technician licensing in West Virginia, you are ready to start your own path to a new career.
Request information from West Virginia schools to learn more about your options.
You may also be interested in these schools that offer Full Cosmetology Programs