Required Barbering Courses in Ohio Barbering Schools
At the right barber college, you can learn all about one of the hottest specialties in the beauty industry and start preparing for an exciting new career. Barbering is growing quickly across the country, with more and more men turning to barbers for their styling needs. With the specialized training you can get in men’s hair cutting and facial hair care, you may be able to build your client base in Ohio.
To start working in this state, you need to meet the licensing requirements of the Ohio State Barber Board. They require that you complete at least 1800 hours of training before you get your license and start working on your own. Your education must be split up into specific sections of theory, hands-on experience, and client work.
Ohio Barber Classes
- 100 hours of theory: Scientific fundamentals, hygiene, bacteriology, histology, structure of the face and neck, elementary chemistry, diseases of the skin and hair, barbering history, barber law, salesmanship, barber ethics, and shop management
- 200 hours of scientific barbering practice on mannequins: Facial treatments, shampoo treatments, tinting, bleaching, facial shaving, tapering hair cuts, trends in hair cutting, hair styling, straightening, relaxing, permanent waving, hair pieces, and barber implements
- 1200 hours of general barber practice: Facial treatments, scalp treatments, shampoo treatments, tinting, bleaching, facial shaving, hair cutting, hair straightening and relaxing, permanent waving, shop duties, shop management, and hair pieces
- 300 unassigned hours: To be used as instructors see fit
Are you ready to learn more about barbering courses in Ohio? Use our list of local barbering schools to reach out to programs that fit your needs!
Ohio Barber Training and License Requirements
After you finish your education, it’s time to apply for a license for barbering in Ohio. You may register for your written and practical exams once you’re close to finishing your program. You may receive your license after paying your fees and receiving a passing score on all necessary exams.
Ohio Barbering License Specifics
- Testing costs: No initial testing costs, must pay $45 to retake exam
- Accepted payment methods: Fees payable by check or money order
- License/application fees: $120 license and application fee
- Apprenticeship options: No apprenticeship options available
You may wonder why the beauty industry is so highly regulated. Without strict training requirements, anyone can legally call themselves a barber or cosmetologist. As a result, it’s hard for employers and clients to figure out who is properly trained in barbering procedures. When all barbers must be licensed, it’s much easier for potential employers to figure out how you’ve been trained and what skills you have.
Requirements for Renewing Your Barber License in Ohio
Now that you’ve finished barber school and you have your barber license, Ohio may be ready for you to start working. To continue working, you simply have to keep your license up-to-date. Every two years, you must complete eight hours of continuing education to be eligible for renewal. The renewal fee in Ohio is $110.
Take the first step toward a barbering license today. Browse our list of beauty schools in Ohio and contact schools in your community.
You may also be interested in these schools that offer Full Cosmetology Programs