Required Barbering Courses in Maine Barbering Schools
Ready to find out how barber school could get you on the path to an exciting beauty career? Barbering is one of the hottest specialties in cosmetology right now. Men are realizing the benefits of keeping a clean, tidy appearance. As a result, barber shops are becoming more and more popular. By completing at least 1500 hours of training at an approved school, you may be able to become a licensed barber. In this state, all licensing goes through the Maine Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. Not only do you have to go through a specific amount of training, you must take certain barbering courses to be ready for licensure. On the way to an ME barber license, you may focus on the following skills and topics.
Maine Barber Classes
- 105 hours: Bacteriology, hygiene, infection prevention, exposure to bodily fluids, sterilization, sanitation, universal precautions, and basic first aid
- 78 hours: Business and salon management, including barbering theory
- 306 hours: Permanent waving, chemical hair relaxers, hair coloring, hair tinting, and hair bleaching
- 105 hours: Barbering practice equipments, implements, tools, and devices; includes facial and scalp treatment equipment, scissors, razors, clippers, trimmers, devices, and dryers
- 105 hours: General physical sciences
- 390 hours: Haircutting
- 180 hours: Hairstyling, including thermal hairstyling, finger waving, wrapping, and blow dry styling
- 60 hours: Manicuring
- 39 hours: Shampooing and conditioning
- 72 hours: Trimming beards and mustaches; shaving and facials
After finishing your barber courses in Maine, you can move on to the rest of the licensing process. Take this chance to learn more about barbering schools in Maine by contacting programs near you.
Maine Barber Training and License Requirements
Now that it’s time to get your Maine barber license, you should spend some time getting familiar with barbering license in ME requirements. You have to pay a set of fees and prove that you have the training required by the state of Maine. Once your application is approved, you may take your licensing exams and find out if you have what it takes.
Maine Barbering License Specifics
- License/application fees: $41 application fee
- Accepted payment methods: Fees payable by check, money order, or credit card
- Apprenticeship options: 2500 hours of apprenticeship training
- Tests administered by DL Roope
Licensing is a crucial part of the barbering industry. By requiring that all barbers meet the same standards, this industry makes it easier for customers to trust their beauty professionals. This improves public trust in the field as a whole, helping new barbers like you build a reputation and explore career options.
Requirements for Renewing Your Barber License in Maine
When you earn your barbering license, you may use it to work for up to one full year. However, to continue working in this field, you need to renew every year by October 31. The renewal fee is $20, but it jumps to $50 if you renew late. Currently, there are no continuing education requirements.
Find out which barber college is a good fit for you. Reach out to Maine barbering programs today to get started.
You may also be interested in these schools that offer Full Cosmetology Programs