Required Barbering Courses in California Barbering Schools
You’re looking for a beauty career that gives you the chance to build specialized skills and work in a professional environment. The field of barbering could be a great fit for you. In the state of California, barbers are licensed by the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
Training requirements are similar to what you’ll find in other states; at minimum, you need 1,500 hours of training before you can qualify for barbering license in CA. A major focus of your training is hands-on experience, which is why the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology has specific requirements for training hours and hands-on procedures.
California Barber Classes
- Hairstyling: 65 hours of instruction and 240 procedures
- Permanent waving and chemical straightening: 40 hours of instruction and 105 procedures
- Hair coloring and bleaching: 60 hours of instruction and 50 procedures
- Hair cutting: 20 hours of instruction and 80 procedures
- Shaving: 200 hours of instruction and practical training
- Preparation and performance: 100 hours of instruction and 40 procedures
- Laws and regulations: 20 hours of instruction
- Health and safety considerations: 45 hours of instruction
- Disinfection and sanitation: 20 hours of instruction
- Anatomy and physiology: 15 hours of instruction
If you’ve been waiting for the perfect time to start a career in barbering, this is your chance to get started.
Use our list of barber classes in California to contact programs near you.
California Barber Training and License Requirements
After meeting California barber school education requirements, you can advance to the next step in the licensing process. Upon completion of your program, you can send your examination application and fee to the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
Within 12 weeks, they should schedule your practical and written barbering exams. Once you’ve passed both of these exams, you get your initial California barber license, which allows you to work independently as a barber.
California Barbering License Specifics
- Testing costs: $125 combined testing and licensing fees
- Accepted payment methods: Check, money order, or cashier’s check
- Apprenticeship options: 3200 hours of apprenticeship training and 220 classroom training hours
- Tests available in English, Spanish, Korean, and Vietnamese
This process is quite a bit of work, but it has benefits for you, your customers, and the entire field of cosmetology. When you meet high licensing standards, you can feel confident that you are ready to work with clients as a barber. Licensing gives customers more faith in barbers and cosmetologists, since it gives them an easy way to check their stylist’s credentials. The entire beauty industry benefits!
Requirements for Renewing Your Barber License in California
In the first odd-numbered year after getting your initial license, your barber license must be renewed. Every two years, you must submit your renewal application with the renewal fee of $50. If your application is postmarked after the renewal date on your form, your fee increases to $75.
While California does not currently have any continuing education requirements, attending seminars and training events may be helpful to your career, your networking efforts, and your professional skill set.
With the list of barbering courses on this page, it’s easy to find a California barbering program near you.
Find local programs and get in touch with them to learn more about your options.